Thursday, August 15, 2013

Sometimes You Just Need Cake

 
 
When I was working for an international food service company I was tasked to create and implement "Whole Person Wellness" concepts into Retirement Communities across the United States. At first, I thought achieving Whole Person Wellness would be eating healthy and exercising soon, I learned it is so much more....sometimes it is also just about feeling good.
After a rough day, one thing that makes me feel good is something sweet like red velvet cake!
The problem for me is one small slice can easily become two or three slices and then just knowing something like a cake is in the fridge just makes me want more cake :)
So to achieve the balance of wanting something sweet without the temptation of overindulgence I turned to cake balls!
Cake Balls are the perfect size so I can indulge without the guilt. The Cake Balls also freeze well and defrost easily in the fridge.
 
 
Red Velvet Cake Balls
Yield approx. 50

1 box red velvet cake mix (prepared and baked as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)

1 (8oz) Package Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Butter, Softened
1 cup Confectioners Sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 pound Dark Chocolate Bark
1/2 pound White Chocolate Bark

Red Food Coloring

Toothpicks, Wax Paper

1. Prepare cake as directed.
2. Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting.
     In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla then, gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator.
3.After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
4. Mix thoroughly with cream cheese frosting.
5. Roll mixture into quarter size balls (or munchkin sized) and lay on a wax paper covered plate or cookie sheet. Place a toothpick in each ball.
6. Freeze for balls for several hours.
7. Melt chocolate in microwave or on double boiler...there are usually directions on the package on how to melt chocolate. You may want to only do a little at a time as it is easier to make the cake balls when the chocolate is hot.
8. Dip frozen balls into melted chocolate by holding on to the toothpick.
9. Place on wax paper covered platter and remove toothpick.
10. Place in refrigerator to harden the chocolate.
11. Garnish with some melted white chocolate tinted with red food coloring. I usually just place the red chocolate in a small plastic sandwich bag and cut the corner of the bag and drizzle the chocolate on the cake balls.

NOTES: I also have made these with Milk Chocolate but by far I think the Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate are the BEST! Also, if anyone would like step by step picture instructions message me and I will send you the step by step pictures.





No comments:

Post a Comment