Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chicken FIngers You Can Feel Good About Serving




I wanted a really good Chicken Fingers recipe that I could feel good about serving. The first step, of course, was to cut out deep frying the Chicken Fingers. The problem is once you cut out the frying though you loose some of the juiciness in the chicken and some of the crunch in the breading.  I took some recipes that I found and kind of mixed them together to create my healthier approach to chicken fingers. The Chicken Finger breading is full of fiber and also contains some ground flax seed which contain Omega-3 fatty acids which also have fiber but also may help lower cholesterol. The chicken fingers still have a crunch when baked. 

 

Baked Chicken Fingers
Serves 4

Ingredients
 
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup All Bran Cereal
1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large eggs
1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders

 
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a food processor, combine wheat germ, all bran cereal, breadcrumbs, flax seed, Parmesan, onion and garlic powders, sea salt, and  pepper; pulse to combine. Add olive oil; pulse to combine. Transfer crumb mixture to a large bowl.

2. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat eggs. Dip chicken in eggs (allowing excess to drip off), then dredge in crumb mixture, patting to adhere. Place on a jelly roll pan with a fitted with wire rack (if possible).

3. Bake until chicken is 165 degrees for 15 seconds 12 to 14 minutes

Note:
  • To achieve a crisp evenly cooked chicken finger I suggest baking them on a jelly roll pan fitted with a wire rack. I have put a link from Amazon below to show what I am suggesting.
  • I also added a link to some Taylor thermometers one is waterproof and one is not...I use digital thermometers to make sure that meat is cooked to temperature

No comments:

Post a Comment