Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sauteed Kale with Apples

I remember using Kale as a garnish when I was working as a line cook in the 90's. I later found out it was actually edible but resisted trying Kale. Finally, at a retirement community I was working at  I tried this strange veggie and I thought it was horrible. I remember Kale being super bitter and chewy.

Last week I received Kale in my veggie box from a local farm. I know Kale is very healthy so I decided to give it another try. After some research and a little work I came up with a Kale recipe.
I was nervous as I took the first bite of the finished product but was pleasantly surprised. I really like Kale!

Here is the recipe.

Sautéed Kale with Apples
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Medium White Onion, Sliced
2 Red Delicious Apples Cored and Cut into Bite Size Pieces
2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar,
1/8 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Bunch Kale, Approx 4 cups, Stems Removed and Cut into Bite Size Pieces

Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a large sauté pan.
  2. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 4 minutes.
  3. Add apples, vinegar and salt and pepper; cover and cook until apples are just tender, 3 minutes more.
  4. Add kale to pan, stir and cook, covered, until kale is tender, about 4-5 minutes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment