Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mexican Skillet Dinner

This was originally a Slow Cooker recipe for a Tamale Pie. The meat mix was on the bottom and it was topped with cornbread. While I loved the idea....I found the recipe a little lacking. I thought it needed some substance. While I like slow cooker recipes, this one required to much prep and the Slow Cooking process did not add flavor. Finally, I like cornbread but not as a topping...the bottom of the cornbread was a tad pasty since it soaked up moisture from the meat and also when it came to reheat the leftovers it became a hindrance. I served the Mexican Skillet over Cilantro Lime Rice and a mini cornbread muffin on the side.
Mexican Skillet Dinner
Serves 6
Ingredients:
1 pound ground meat (93/7)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon  chili powder
1 can (15 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes and mild green chilies, undrained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 can (10 ounce) mild enchilada sauce
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation:
  1. In a large skillet cook ground beef over medium heat until fully cooked. drain
  2. Stir in the cumin, sea salt, chili powder, pepper, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onions and cilantro
  3. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil
  4. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stir occasionally

Notes:
  • I served it over Cilantro Lime Rice. I made the rice as directed on the package for four servings. Once the rice was completed I squeezed in juice from a fresh lime, added about  1/4 cup chopped cilantro and a dash of sea salt and pepper. I used Jasmine Rice but it also works well with brown rice.
  • To make rice I use a rice cooker. To use the rice cooker you put in the rice and the water then hit the button to cook the rice....it turns out perfectly every time. I placed a link for rice cookers at Amazon.com below.

 Shop Amazon Back to School - Save up to 50 on Select Backpacks

No comments:

Post a Comment