Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Quick and Easy Cajun Cod with a Tomatillo Salsa






Okay....Okay....I know what you are thinking....this dish seems difficult. It is not. This is super easy to make and full of flavor!

I had found a recipe in an old cookbook for Sea Bass with a Tomatillo Salsa. The recipe sounded interesting. Basically, you make this fruit salsa and you place it on top of the fish and bake. As I was making the dish I kept thinking I should take the fish and add some seasoning or grill it or something and serve the salsa right over the cooked fish....the salsa tasted amazing without cooking it but, I decided to follow the recipe. Next time,  I will follow my instinct. The salsa lost it's amazing flavor and the fish did not really gain any of the fruit flavor.

I tried the recipe again. This time I used cod....because Sea Bass is very expensive. I put some Cajun seasoning on the cod and cooked it on the stove top. I made the salsa and just topped the cooked fish with the salsa....Much better this time!
This is now a recipe I can be proud to share.

Cajun Cod with a Tomatillo Salsa

Ingredients
4 (6 oz) cod filets
4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 cup chopped pineapple (about 1/3 of a pineapple)
1/2 cup chopped peaches or nectarines (about 1/2 a piece of fruit)
1/2 cup chopped tomatillos (about 2 medium)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 fresh serrano chili pepper seeded and chopped
 1 tablespoon finely shredded lime peel
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons honey

Preparation
1. Combine pineapple, peaches or nectarines, tomatillos, cilantro, red onion, chili pepper, lime peel, lime juice and honey. Set aside.
2. Season each piece of fish with one teaspoon Cajun seasoning. If you like spicier add a little more!
3.Heat a large skillet or griddle pan coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Add fish. Saute 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
4. Serve fish topped with salsa.

Notes
  • Use caution when cutting the chili pepper. Wear gloves the chili peppers can burn or sting skin if cut without gloves. Do not touch eyes or face during or after cutting chili peppers.


No comments:

Post a Comment