Thursday, September 26, 2013

Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls



I like a good cabbage roll now and then, but I honestly do not have the patience to make them myself. Something about boiling the cabbage and then rolling them without  tearing the leaves....the whole process just frustrates me! Which is funny because, I can spend hours decorating a cake or doing multiple steps on other recipes. Probably dates back to the time one of the kitchens I managed had to make like 400 Cabbage Rolls for a dinner and they were behind schedule....I jumped in to try and help but I felt like I was all thumbs during the process, ripping more than I made. I fired myself from the task and got someone else to help and the meal went out without a hitch but I still refuse to make cabbage rolls. My solution: A deconstructed cabbage roll! All the flavor with less work. Enjoy!

Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls
Serves 4

Ingredients

1 pound 93/7 ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium head of cabbage, chopped
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with chilies
1 cup low sodium beef broth
1 can (8 ounces) of tomato sauce (I use my homemade marinara sauce listed on the blog instead of a can)
2 cups cooked brown rice

Preparation
  1. In a dutch oven, over medium heat cook the ground beef, onion and green pepper until the meat is fully cooked and no longer pink. Drain.
  2. Stir in the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, broth and sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover for about 25 minutes, until the cabbage is tender. Stir occasionally.
  3. Stir in the rice and cook until the rice is heated completely.
Note:
  • For the picture I used Chinese Cabbage. Green Cabbage, Napa Cabbage and Chinese Cabbage all work well. I just happened to have Chinese Cabbage in my CSA vegetable box this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment