Thursday, September 5, 2013

Healthy Treats for Your Pup!




I like to give my pup treats. I am not a fan of some of the byproducts in the more affordable doggie treats. My pup  could care less if there were byproducts, if the treat was healthy,  if the treat was all natural, where the treat was manufactured....all my pup cares about is getting a treat!

I make my dog Sweet Potato Jerky!

I just purchased two sweet potatoes weighing 1.59 total pounds. At 79 cents a pound the total for the sweet potatoes was $1.26.

The potatoes yielded 7 oz of treats. To buy 7 oz of Sweet Potato Jerky treats at a store would cost between $7.00 - $8.00

This is a super easy recipe so you can give your dog a very affordable and healthy doggie treat!

Sweet Potato Jerky for Dogs

Ingredients
Sweet Potato
Parchment Paper

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Wash sweet potato. Slice the potato in half lengthwise. Then slice each half lengthwise. Slice the quarters into wedge shapes about 1/8"-1/4" thick.
  3. Place the sweet potatoes on the prepared pan and bake for three hours turning over half way through.  The potatoes should appear dry and shriveled. 
  4. Let cool and then let your pup ENJOY!
Notes:
  • Store in refrigerator for up to three weeks.
  • If you make extra you can freeze them for up to three months. 
  • To achieve evenly cooked chicken sweet potatoes I suggest baking them on a jelly roll pan fitted with a wire rack. I have put a link from Amazon below to show what I am suggesting. 
  • To keep my pup occupied I like to place a couple pieces of Sweet Potato Jerky in a Kong ball


No comments:

Post a Comment