Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pancakes for Breakfast or Dinner?


For me, dinner! Pancakes in the morning just make me want to go take a nap which is not so good considering I have the whole day ahead of me. I remember as a kid, looking forward to breakfast for dinner....it was a real treat! I guess it still is. I got a little nostalgic as I made breakfast for dinner the other night. I really like this pancake recipe. These are very tasty, fluffy buttermilk pancakes which are super simple to make and remind me of Buttermilk Pancakes I had as a kid. Enjoy!

Buttermilk Pancakes
Yield 8 pancakes

Ingredients
3/4 cup fat free milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
cooking spray

Preparation
  1.  In a medium mixing bowl mix milk and vinegar, set aside for 5 minutes.
  2.  In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking power, baking soda and salt.
  3. Whisk together the milk mixture with the egg and melted butter.
  4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Stir until ingredients are combined. Do not over mix, the batter should be slightly lumpy.
  5. Let the batter stand about five minutes before making pancakes.
  6. Heat a skillet over medium heat. You know the pan is the right temperature when you put a drop of water on the skillet and it sizzles. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake on the skillet. Flip the pancakes when they begin to bubble and the bottoms are golden brown. Turn pancakes only once as constant turning makes the pancakes tougher. Cook until second side is brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment