Saturday, October 12, 2013

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya


I found this recipe on the McCormick website years and years ago.I made a few modifications to adjust to my tastes. This is so simple to make, low in fat and calories. I really love this recipe. I have tried many other Jambalaya recipes but nothing comes close to this. Enjoy!


Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
Serves 8, 1 cup servings

Ingredients

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into one inch cubes
1 pound mild turkey sausage cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium red onion, chopped into a large dice
1 medium red pepper, chopped into a large dice
2 celery stalks, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 medium tomato, chopped into large dice
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
2 bay leaves
1 cup long grain rice
1 3/4 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable stock

Preparation
  1. In a dutch oven heat oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and sausage and cook for about seven minutes, until chicken and sausage is browned. Remove from skillet and drain excess oil.
  2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, pepper and celery cook for about five minutes, until onion is softened.
  3. Stir in tomato, Cajun seasoning and bay leaves.
  4. Return chicken and sausage to dutch oven. Add rice and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 25 minutes, until rice is tender. Stir occasionally. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Notes:
  • This spice level in this dish is medium. If you would like mild only add one tablespoon Cajun and if you would like spicy add an additional teaspoon or two of Cajun seasoning and a spicy turkey sausage.
  • If you use brown rice the cook time needs to be increased by about 15 minutes. 
  • If you would like you can use a green bell pepper, I happened to have a red pepper in my CSA box so I used red, it looks a little more colorful!
  • I use either chicken or vegetable stock....what ever I have on hand, both taste equally great

No comments:

Post a Comment