Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Coconut Curry Chicken "Lightened Up"


This recipe took me a little while to develop. I wanted an authentic tasting Coconut Curry Chicken that had less fat and calories than the original. The challenge with a "lighter" recipe was getting the sauce correct. The sauce was soupy the first time I tried this....the second time I made this it was awesome!

Since there are not a lot of Indian restaurants close by I can still enjoy one of my favorite dishes without all the fat and calories!

When I made this dish I served the Coconut Curry Chicken with a simple spiced rice.

Enjoy!

 Coconut Curry Chicken

Ingredients
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 onion, sliced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (14 oz) can light coconut milk
1 (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 pound potatoes cut into 1/2 inch chunks (I used red potatoes)
3 tablespoons sugar

Preparation
  1. Season chicken with salt and pepper
  2. In a dutch oven or a 6 quart stock pot heat oil mixed with curry powder over medium high heat for two minutes...stir constantly.
  3. Stir in onions and garlic. Heat one minute more.
  4. Add chicken. Toss to coat with curry mixture. Reduce heat to medium. Cook for approx. 10 more minutes, until chicken is fully cooked.
  5. Add coconut milk, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, potatoes and sugar. Stir to combine.
  6. Cook on medium, uncovered for 40-50 minutes until potatoes are fork tender and sauce is thickened. Stir often while cooking on the stove top.






No comments:

Post a Comment